After the battle...



It has been a long time since we have updated these progress pages so here is a quick account of what has happened after the battle.

It has been quite a shock to the system after spending all our spare time for three months, to suddenly find that you do not need to rush off and cut, bolt, design, solder and program. We have been slowly picking up all the things we should have been doing during the last three months.

We have spent a few hours playing with Jim Struts in the garden, nothing more than walking about, and have caused more damage to him than during the battle. The damage is mainly to the triangle in the leg becoming distorted.

Where the hydraulic oil spilt in August when the reservoir top came off, we now have a brown patch of dead grass.

Where we constructed Jim Struts in the garden we now have a mud patch, and so Jim Struts is relegated to the end of the garden whilst the mud patch has been reseeded with grass.

EyeEye - Jim Struts - Mud Patch in Garden
Mud patch in garden where we built Jim Struts. The large blocks of wood were use to sit Jim on when testing the walking cycles.

Mid September

We took 'Jim Struts' to the 'Rover Model Aircraft Exhibition' in Oxford for a static stand, where we met some public, but spent most of the day talking to the other roboteers. The other Robots which turned up at Oxford are as follows:-

'Killerhurtz' A most excellently engineered robot with a polycarbonate chassis, with a huge Pneumatic ram driving a formidable hammer.

'Ramesis' with a polyethylene chassis from the ISIS team, based around the hammer from 'Scarab', last years competitor, driven by powerful springs and a starter motor for resetting the hammer system.

'Rumble' with a chassis made of dexion and some very imaginatively constructed conical wheels made of wood, with large ball bearings on the outer circumference to allow sideways motion.

'ORAC' with a steel chassis and small push bike wheels with solid tyres, and castors. From it's barbecuing during the competition there was very little of the tyres left, most of the electrical screw terminations insulation had melted into pools of plastic, and a lot of the steel work inside has had accelerated rusting where the grease on it had burnt away.

All in All it was an interesting day. Thank you for all those who helped lift 'Jim Struts' on and off his trolley and into the back of my van.


 [ Jim Struts ]
Copyright © Ian Inglis, 1998-2014. All rights reserved.