First two weeks of October
In our preparations for Battle, we have completed the new reservior tank. It is made out of copper and when polished looks really good and in keeping with the copper hair. There have been problems with the new tank. The vibrations of the engine combined with the walls of the tank flexing due to air not venting to the atmosphere easily, the tank developed some fractures and started leaking. We soldered plates over the fractures and fixed the tank to the engine and pump more solidly. The breather tube was also replaced with a shorter length and wider bore, and it all seems okay at the moment.
We have also managed to find a rather nasty problem in the software, where once Miss Struts started walking she would be slow to respond to further commands. This was finally traced to a system design error between the receiver software, and the walking software. The problem was caused by the walking software spending too much time monitoring the sensors, when controlling the hydraulics to achieve the targets, and so ignoring the receiver software data being passed to it. Once the problem was discovered a minor change to the walking software cured the problem.
We also did some other work on software. The second walking style did not have a where to start from routine, so Miss Struts tended to take one step back before she started walking forward. This work is now done and the second walking style starts more gracefully.
In our final preparations for battle we replaced all the bungee cords which help hold on the legs and act as suspension and fitted our newly painted body panels, and a few other items for entertainment....
After loading a hired trailer with "Miss Struts" and loading an array of tools and spares in the van we are off to Elstree for battle....